Sunday, November 22, 2009

Rough Artist Statement "Voga"

One of the main drivers propelling me through the past few months was the argument over fashion photography's artistic merit. I am very interested in the commercial and formal artistic duality of fashion photographs as adapted during the past two decades. According to artist Camille Vivier "the difference between the two [art and fashion work] depends more on the context and the process of realization than the intention." The artists of this era were able to cinematically create broken narratives enticing the consumer by creating an open ended scenario presenting the viewer with all the necessary tools for an imaginative ending. For this body of work, I choose to place my self-styled models in unconventional settings as I felt this allowed the clothing to becomes the focus of the images. Each of the models wore their own clothing as I felt this added another layer to the narrative, particularly with some of the more unique pieces. Inspired by the works of Juergen Teller, Irving Penn, Annie Leibowitz, and Scott Schuman, I have an affinity for dramatic lighting, detailed perspectives and tableau compositions. fashion

No comments: